Monday, June 30, 2008

How the events unfolded

The Star : Monday June 30, 2008

Saturday, June 28

5.45pm PKR de facto leader Anwar Ibrahim’s 23-year-old assistant Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan lodges a police report against him for sodomy at the Travers police station in Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur.

10PM About 1,000 Anwar supporters gather at Quality Hotel in Shah Alam after news spreads about the sodomy allegation.

Sunday, June 29

1.20AM PKR vice-president Sivarasa Rasiah holds an emergency press conference to refute the allegation. He reads out a statement by Anwar. Anwar was not present to meet the press, although he was still in the hotel where PKR was holding a supreme council meeting.

2.15AM PKR information chief Tian Chua says Pakatan Rakyat is fully behind Anwar.

5AM ADILnews sends out a statement via SMS that Anwar is in possession of new documents implicating Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan and Attorney-General Tan Sri Abdul Ghani Patail of fabricating evidence in court cases involving Anwar in 1998. PKR claimed there was an attempt to arrest Anwar.

8AM PKR’s supreme council meeting starts with two police cars parked in front of the hotel. An officer reportedly told PKR supporters they were there to prevent any untoward incident.

11AM Anwar is believed to have left the hotel and headed for the Turkish Embassy in Ampang. He has not left the building since.

1PM PKR deputy president Dr Syed Husin Ali conducts a press conference without Anwar or PKR president Datin Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, who is Anwar’s wife. Halfway through, Wan Azizah turns up with her daughters, including Lembah Pantai MP Nurul Izzah, to take over the press conference.

3PM Reporters get wind that Anwar has gone to the Turkish Embassy and head there. However, they fail to meet with Anwar or Turkish Ambassador to Malaysia Barlas Ozener.

6PM Several PKR leaders are seen outside the embassy. Reporters are told that Anwar was meeting his lawyers inside.

No comments: